The Safe Crossings Foundation Annual Luncheon was a major success this year, thanks to our generous sponsors and donors! We had more than 600 guests and raised over $443,000 to benefit local grieving kids and their families.
While a child’s life will never be the same after the death of a loved one, these donations will positively impact how they experience grief, helping them to find a future with joy, security and all the possibilities each young person deserves.
Two families share their tales of love and loss in this poignant video created for the luncheon by White Noise Productions. Safe Crossings | Better Together from Safe Crossings Foundation on Vimeo.
The luncheon, which was held on Wednesday, October 26th, 2016, at the Seattle Sheraton, featured a wonderful selection of speakers, each of whom know personally the grief that follows the loss of a beloved family member, but who’ve also experienced healing in various ways within our local grief support community.
- Alex Szablya delivered a moving account of her family story, explaining how she and her children benefited from Safe Crossings-funded programs after her husband suddenly passed seven years ago.
- John Richards, a morning DJ from 90.3 KEXP, described the importance of community and the expression of grief after losing a parent, as highlighted in his annual performances of The Mom Show (an on-air musical dedication “for everyone and everything we’ve lost and to always remember who and what we haven’t”), and Death and Music (a popular live show that honors loss through music). John was also the recipient of our 2016 Bridge to Healing Award for the work he has done to advance grief support in our city.
- Colleen Robertson, Board President and daughter of our founder, described SCF’s recent expansion in services and staff by announcing our 2016 Grant Recipients: Forefront and The Healing Center, and welcoming our new Executive Director, Karen Schrantz.
- Karen in turn expressed her admiration and hopes for SCF going forward, sending guests on their way with a sense of excitement for the growth of the organization and its work on behalf of grieving children.
As the program came to a close, we even sent two lucky raffle winners home with these great prizes:
- Two round-trip tickets from Alaska Airlines
- A four-day cottage vacation at Veranda Beach Resort at Lake Osoyoos, Washington
Safe Crossings Foundation, in partnership with other fantastic organizations, is honored to help such families as Alex’s, the Mohans, the Pareja-Ortegas and many more, made possible only by the generosity of our donors and corporate sponsors.
To all involved, thank you for making this such a wonderful afternoon. Above all, we, the staff and board of Safe Crossings Foundation, are humbled and grateful for the support we received from you, our community, to continue to bring help to grieving kids in need.
To our amazing sponsors, we could never have pulled this massive event off without you!
LabCorp, Nintendo of America, Peoples Injury Network Northwest, Swedish and Providence Heath & Services, Wizards of the Coast
Auburn Mechanical Inc., Clark Construction Group LLC, Cochran, First Choice Health, Hermanson Company, MacDonald-Miller, Mortenson Construction, Pacific Project Management, Perkins Coie, Schnitzer West, Sellen Construction, Stoneway Concrete, Valley Electric Company, Williams Kastner
Alaska Air Group Inc., Anning-Johnson Inc., Cigna, DBM Contractors, ISEC Inc., Johnson Controls Inc., McClone Construction Company, McKinstry, Modern Construction Services LLC, R.C. Hedreen Company, Sabey Corporation, University Mechanical Contractors Inc., West Monroe Partners
Aetna, Alliant Employee Benefits, Apollo Mechanical Constractors, Bennett Bigelow & Leedom P.S., Delta Dental of Washington, Group Health Cooperative, Holmes Electric, The Nathanson Group PLLC, United HealthCare
Thank you to Alaska Airlines and Veranda Beach Resort for the raffle prize donations, to Darigold and Cougar Mountain Baking Company for the Better Together table center pieces, and to Fran’s Chocolates for table captain and volunteer gifts!
We’re also grateful for our wonderful table captains, volunteers and luncheon committee members. Thank you for everything you did to help make this event a success.