Safe Crossings Foundation is dedicated to helping grieving children who have lost a parent, sibling, or other loved one heal and thrive.
Safe Crossings Foundation Opens
Founded by Teresa Bigelow with funding from Williams Kastner.
Providence Hospice Partnership
Partnered with Providence Hospice of Seattle to provide major funding for the Safe Crossings Program.
Camp Erin-King County
Began providing funding for Camp Erin-King County
Identified 14 organizations providing children’s grief services.
The Healing Center
Began providing grants to The Healing Center.
Art Therapy Resources
Northwest Conference on Childhood Grief
Hosted the first annual Northwest Conference on Childhood Grief.
Grant Making Initiative
Increased giving through a total of three new $5,000 grants to local organizations
Began providing support for survivors of suicide and wilderness grief support for teens.
Celebrating 30 years of helping children cope with grief.
Programs We Fund:
Safe Crossings Program
Safe Crossings is a program for children and teens who are facing or have experienced the loss of a loved one.
Camp Erin®-King County is a weekend, overnight camp for kids and teens between the ages of 5 and 17 who are grieving the death of a loved one.
The Healing Center
The Healing Center is a grief support community that offers individual, group and peer counseling for children, teens and families.
Wild Grief provides programs to support grieving teens on wilderness hikes.
Karen Schrantz provides leadership as the Executive Director of Safe Crossings Foundation. Drawing on expertise from professional experience in both the private and public sector as a mediator, facilitator, educator, and executive director, Karen unites vision, energy and enthusiasm to her pursuit of bringing partners together to advance Safe Crossings Foundation’s mission. She received her BA in American Studies from California State University, Fullerton, her teaching degree from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Texas, her Master of Public Administration degree from the Evans School of Public Affairs at the University of Washington, and a specialty certificate from the UW’s Non-Profit Executive Leadership Institute.
Sara Ritter joined the SCF team in August of 2019. She brings with her many years of development experience and is excited to help SCF reach our fundraising goals. Sara is a native of Oregon and holds our mission close to her heart.
Communications & Development Manager
Wendy joined the team at Safe Crossings Foundation in the fall of 2018 bringing many years of nonprofit marketing, communications, and development experience. Wendy holds a BA in Organizational Communication from Northwest University and is currently pursuing her Masters in Nonprofit Leadership at Seattle University. Through past volunteer work Wendy saw firsthand how the death of a sibling or parent affects children and she wants to make sure every parent and child has access to free resources to help them through that tough time. Her passion for helping kids led her to SCF and she is eager to bring her knowledge and expertise to this wonderful organization.
- Diane Aboulafia, Emeritus; Great Work Communications
- Teresa Bigelow, Founder, Emeritus
- Wes Burns, Vice President; Northwestern Mutual
- Lee Carswell, West Monroe Partners
- Annette Clark, Seattle University School of Law
- Rachel Dahl, UW Board Fellow
- Brett Earnest, Vice President; Clark Construction Group
- Danielle Funston, Blueprint Technologies
- Donna Haggarty-Robbins, Emeritus
- Nathan Hoerschelmann, Hoerschelmann Dietz PLLC
- Tom Hall, PINN
- Shawn Hintz, UBS Financial Services
- Heidi Howard, Equinteractions
- Ami Juel, UW Board Fellow
- Sean Leary, Alliant Employee Benefits
- Bill Leedom, Emeritus
- Jessica Abramson Lott, Beauty Marks Entertainment
- Carla Mauro, Nintendo of America
- Philip "Flip" Morse, Emeritus
- Nathan Musgrove, Heritage Bank
- Lauren Ramsey, Microsoft
- Colleen Robertson, President; Expedia Group
- Paul Robinett, Hermanson Company LLP
- Debra Rubin Levin, Aha!
- Nicole Storck, Treasurer; PricewaterhouseCoopers
- Megan Sutherland, Vice President
- Ken Troop, Wizards of the Coast
- Josephine Vestal, Secretary; Williams, Kastner & Gibbs
- Crockett Family Foundation
- Dupar Foundation
- D.V. and Ida J. McEachern Charitable Trust
- Gunnerson Family Charitable Fund
- Hasbro Children’s Fund
- Kelly Foundation of Washington
- Kawabe Memorial Fund
- McKinstry Company Charitable Foundation
- Muckleshoot Indian Tribe
- Puget Sound Energy Foundation
- Puyallup Tribe’s Charity Funds
- The Norcliffe Foundation
- Ruth Anderson Wheeler and Henry O Wheeler Charitable Trust