Safe Crossings Foundation is dedicated to helping grieving children who have lost a parent, sibling, or other loved one heal and thrive.
Safe Crossings Foundation Opens
Founded by Teresa Bigelow with funding from Williams Kastner.
Providence Hospice Partnership
Partnered with Providence Hospice of Seattle to provide major funding for the Safe Crossings Program.
Camp Erin-King County
Began providing funding for Camp Erin-King County
Identified 14 organizations providing children’s grief services.
The Healing Center
Began providing grants to The Healing Center.
Art Therapy Resources
Northwest Conference on Childhood Grief
Hosted the first annual Northwest Conference on Childhood Grief.
Grant Making Initiative
Increased giving through a total of three new $5,000 grants to local organizations
Began providing support for survivors of suicide and wilderness grief support for teens.
Celebrating 30 years of helping children cope with grief.
Programs we Support:
Safe Crossings Program
Safe Crossings is a program for children and teens who are facing or have experienced the loss of a loved one.
Camp Erin®-King County is a weekend, overnight camp for kids and teens between the ages of 5 and 17 who are grieving the death of a loved one.
The Healing Center
The Healing Center is a grief support community that offers individual, group and peer counseling for children, teens and families.
Wild Grief provides programs to support grieving teens on wilderness hikes.
Karen Schrantz provides leadership as the Executive Director of Safe Crossings Foundation. Drawing on expertise from professional experience in both the private and public sector as a mediator, facilitator, educator, and executive director, Karen unites vision, energy and enthusiasm to her pursuit of bringing partners together to advance Safe Crossings Foundation’s mission. She received her BA in American Studies from California State University, Fullerton, her teaching degree from the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor in Texas, her Master of Public Administration degree from the Evans School of Public Affairs at the University of Washington, and a specialty certificate from the UW’s Non-Profit Executive Leadership Institute.
Communications & Development Manager
Wendy joined the team at Safe Crossings Foundation in the fall of 2018 bringing many years of nonprofit marketing, communications, and development experience. Wendy holds a BA in Organizational Communication from Northwest University and is currently pursuing her Masters in Nonprofit Leadership at Seattle University. Through past volunteer work Wendy saw firsthand how the death of a sibling or parent affects children and she wants to make sure every parent and child has access to free resources to help them through that tough time. Her passion for helping kids led her to SCF and she is eager to bring her knowledge and expertise to this wonderful organization.
- Megan Sutherland, Community Volunteer– Interim President
- Josephine Vestal, Attorney, Williams Kastner – Secretary
- Nicole Storck, Tax Director, PwC – Treasurer
- Wesley Burns, Principal, Burns, Toussaint & Associates - Vice President
- Lee Carswell, Senior Manager, West Monroe Partners
- Annette Clark, Professor and Dean, Seattle University School of Law
- Brett Earnest, Vice President, Clark Construction - Vice President
- Danielle Funston, Vice President Operations, Blueprint Consulting Services
- Nathan Hoerschelmann, Attorney, Hoerschelmann Dietz PLLC
- Thomas Hall, Retired CEO, People's Injury Network NW
- Shawn Hintz, Senior Vice President, UBS
- Heidi Howard, Director, Equinteractions
- Sean Leary, Vice President, Alliant Employee Benefits
- Debra Rubin Levin, CEO, Aha! Marketing
- Jessica Abramson Lott, Principal, Curiosity Works
- Carla Mauro, Vice President of Finance, Nintendo
- Nathan Musgrove, Credit Analyst, Heritage Bank
- Colleen Robertson, Senior Marketing Manager, Expedia
- Mike Turian, Principal Product Designer, Wizards of the Coast
- Tiffany Sung, UW Foster School of Business
- Diane Aboulafia, CEO, Great Work Strategic Communications
- Teresa Bigelow, Community Volunteer – Safe Crossings Foundation Founder
- Donna Haggarty-Robbins, Owner, You’re My Heroine
- Bill Leedom, Community Volunteer
- Flip Morse, Community Volunteer
- Crockett Family Foundation
- Dupar Foundation
- D.V. and Ida J. McEachern Charitable Trust
- Gunnerson Family Charitable Fund
- Hasbro Children’s Fund
- Kelly Foundation of Washington
- Kawabe Memorial Fund
- McKinstry Company Charitable Foundation
- Muckleshoot Indian Tribe
- Puget Sound Energy Foundation
- Puyallup Tribe’s Charity Funds
- The Norcliffe Foundation
- Ruth Anderson Wheeler and Henry O Wheeler Charitable Trust